Who Likes My Dog's House?
So, last weekend an old friend of ours from Wave City brought his folks over to visit us. This friend of mine is a bit crazy. He's not really like any other Chinese person I know, and he has a penchant for saying something insane and funny most of the time. Take for example the time he kept telling me that girls liked him because he was eunuch. What he meant was that he was unique. So, on Saturday he keeps saying "Who likes my dog's house?" Jenny and I just looked at him with raised eyebrows.
"Uhhh...what did you say?"
"It's a song. Who likes my dog's house. Who? Who? Who?"
Jenny and I just looked at each other and started cracking up.
"Do you mean- Who let the dog's out?"
"No- no- who likes my dog's house! Who? Who? Who?"
Ahhhhh...the joy's of engrish. There's just nothing like it.
***
It's been so long since I wrote I've forgotten most of the blog ideas I've had over the past week. Frankly, we've just been too busy.
Gracie pooped on the couch today. Stinker! PTL for scotchguard!
I've had a stomach ache for something like 7 days now. Very painful.
So, I don't know if any of you are familiar with something called the chaos theory, but if you ever wanted evidence that the universe is prone to entropy, look no further than products produced in China for Chinese consumers. Last week our dryer's door handle fell off. This week our washer began spewing water on the floor anytime we walked near it.
Ahh...I learned last week that all the time I've been using the phrase "xi wan" to mean I like something, what I 've actually been saying is "finished washing." So, someone asks me if I like China and I respond, "Yes, I finished washing China very much."
We went to dinner with our "Chinese Mom and Dad" - Uncle Li and Ms. Qi. They are wonderful people and always treat us like we are their children. So, they have this driver that Gracie just adores. He held her throughout the entire dinner and just loved on her- Mr. Zhang. So, Mr. Zhang is driving us home, and as soon as he gets in the car he calls someone on his cell phone. A minute later we're cruising down some street and he's pulling over. So, Jenny and I start trying to tell him he's going to the wrong place. "No, no," he says, "This is my home." So, we pull over and he hops out to greet his family who is waiting out on the corner. He wanted to show off Gracie apparently. So, we let him. If you notice in the pic, Jenny and I are still in the car while his family is holding her. We stopped for maybe 2 minutes tops, just enough time for them to admire her, then he took us home.
We were informed last week we would have a new student joining our class- a young Canadian guy named "Dou Yi" (pronounced Dewey). Anyway, DouYi was supposed to join us this week after he got back from a little trip to Shanghai. He even stored a bunch of his luggage (and his "alcohol collection"?!?) at our house. Strange thing is, he was supposed to be back like 5 or 6 days ago and we haven't heard anything from him. Hope the guy is okay. I'll keep you posted.
Jenny and I had our third anniversary on Wednesday. To celebrate we went out to a place called "Beefsteak Coffee." They had a wonderful piano player busting out tunes like Moon River all night. Instead of chairs there were little love seats. It was cute. I ordered the Australian beefsteak, the most expensive think on the menu which was not so bad. Jenny ordered the filet, which was the cheapest steak on the menu and she got something rubbery that came to the table still bleeding. Chinese beefsteak places always give you a fried egg and something like spaghettin with your steak. It was...fun. We took a bunch of pictures around town. Lots of fun stuff like....
If you need to have a house built I hear these guys work cheap.
Wait till you see the close up of this one.
This is what we call the recycling bike.Well, so this weekend we are taking a trip to my teacher's hometown about 5 hours away. We'll be taking the train, so it should be interesting. This is our first time to travel out of town with Grace. No idea what the situation will be like, but we love out teacher to death and can't wait to meet her family. It should be exciting.





1 Comments:
Wow. I LOVE that... Who likes my dog's house? And perhaps the 7-day stomach pain has come from suan, eh? I love this... I need to come to your website in search of new vocabulary words!
And do they seriously have you in a full-on beginner's Chinese class? Ni hao? Are they serious? Keep us posted through the blog if you're able to get into a more advanced class!
Jenny commented on our blog that she loves it, well I love you guys' blogs too! It is SO fun to read about other people in the middle kingdom.
Post a Comment
<< Home