Just Another Thursday Night For Us In China
Okay, so it's 9:45pm as I am writing this and we have been listening to fireworks going off for the past four hours. I'm not kidding. FOUR SOLID HOURS, and not even a suggestion that it is going to end anytime soon. This is one of those experiences that people who don't live in China can't really imagine. The noise was so loud a few times Jenny and I couldn't even hear each other talking. July 4th in America has nothing on Thursday night in China.
Of course, I guess it must have something to do with it being Chinese Valentine's Day, or the fact that it is the 15th day of the Chinese New Year. I'm not sure. All I know is that everyone of our neighbors is out shooting off fireworks tonight and it's just about to drive me crazy. The thing is- Chinese fireworks aren't so much about the pretty lights and flashes- it's about the noise. The Chinese really really seem to love noise. It's one of those things I've never been able to understand or even come to grips with. They just seem to think really really LOUD is somehow pleasant.
Our theory is that the neighbors are taking turns. We figure everyone has a store of fireworks in their house somewhere. So, we think they are just taking turns. Waiting for one family to finish shooting off all of theirs and then the next group goes down.
Gracie is usually scared of fireworks, but it's been going on for so long now I think she is over it. Her and Jenny went to bed a little while ago and are probably crashed out so, good for them if they can sleep through this.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home